This is a delicious + healthy vegetarian broccoli soup recipe than can be served year-round with crusty whole grain bread. If you want to increase the protein, add one cup of prepared white beans at the same time that you are adding the broccoli. This plant-based soup is brimming with vegetables that are full of antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals. PLANT-BASED + DAIRY
Choose Organic Ingredients When Available:
- ¼ cup cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups 1% (low fat) milk
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pinch of cumin
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil, add garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potato. Saute for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add broccoli, broth and milk. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then transfer soup to a food processor and pulse a few times. Do not puree! Broccoli pieces should be visible.
- Return to soup pot, season with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Reheat and serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Buon Appetito!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving (without added salt or Parmesan cheese): Calories: 106, Fat: 1.2 grams, Sodium: 102 mg, Carbohydrate: 19 grams, Fiber: 3.3 grams, Protein: 5.3 grams, Vitamin D: 159 percent Daily Value, Iron: 5 percent Daily Value, Calcium: 9 percent daily Value