This traditional southern Italian, “Beyond The Mediterranean Diet” eggplant pasta recipe is easy and delicious- just the way nonna likes it! Plus, you can have this vegetarian, healthy and satisfying dish prepared in under 30 minutes. Try it over a bed of steamed escarole or spinach.
- 8 ounces of your favorite pasta, preferably whole-wheat
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 5 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- Sea salt, sparingly
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, crumbled
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Cook pasta “al dente” 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions and set aside. Please do not overcook the pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a skillet over medium to low heat. Add the pine nuts. Stir until golden and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium to high heat. Add the eggplant and toss to coat, then cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt (sparingly) and pepper to taste. Add the cherry tomato halves and stir for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the skillet. Turn the heat to low and combine ingredients.
- Crumble in the cheese and sprinkle in the pine nuts.
- Stir in the fresh basil and serve. Buon Appetito!
Please note that the Nutrition Facts does not account for added salt