Boysenberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries are brimming with antioxidants. These include anthocyanins, quercetin, and vitamin C. Anthocyanins give berries their vibrant color. Antioxidants reduce inflammation, may help slow age-related memory-loss and reduce the risk of of macular degeneration. When berries are out of season, find them in the frozen section of the supermarket. Always reach for organically-grown (and local) berries because conventional ones retain pesticides.
Ingredients (use organic ingredients):
- 1 cup almond flour or fine cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic low-fat milk or soy-milk
- 1 cup plain organic low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh organic berries (or frozen and thawed)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours (or cornmeal), baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl, beat the eggs with the applesauce, vanilla extract, milk and yogurt.
- In two batches, mix the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combined (do not over mix).
- Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the walnuts over the batter and top with the blueberries, gently pressing them into the batter. Spoon the rest of the batter into the pan, smoothing the top. Sprinkle the remaining nut mixture over the cake, pressing gently.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then flip onto wire cooling racks to let cool completely. Serves 8.
TO MAKE THIS RECIPE GLUTEN-FREE, REPLACE THE WHOLE-WHEAT FLOUR WITH FINE CORNMEAL OR ALMOND FLOUR.
Nutrition Facts per serving (142 grams): 234 calories, 8 grams fat, 276 mg sodium, 210 mg potassium, 32.6 grams carbs, 3.7 grams dietary fiber, 7.8 grams protein.