Who doesn’t LOVE Italian food? This makes a delicious vegetarian lunch served with a mixed green salad. If you’re craving cheese, then add a handful of chopped fresh mozzarella during the last five minutes of cooking. Ingredients (choose organic when available):
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough (available at most natural food markets)
- 1 cup (about 6 ounces) organic cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, cored and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1-teaspoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1-teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F. Pour oil into a 9-inch-round nonstick cake pan and spread to coat. Place dough into the pan and use your hands to gently stretch dough. Flip dough over so both sides are coated with oil and stretch until dough evenly covers the bottom of the pan. Press tomatoes cut side down into dough. Top with mushrooms and peppers. Sprinkle with salt, parsley and basil. Bake until the top is brown about 35 to 40 minutes. Cool bread in the pan 5 minutes, then remove and place onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 day. Serves 8.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Serving size (1 wedge): 160 calories, 5.6 grams fat, (0.5 grams saturated fat), 0 milligrams cholesterol, 300 milligrams sodium, 26 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams dietary fiber, 4.5 grams protein.