If hovering over a hot stovetop is not your idea of fun, or you are flustered by the thought of shopping for the long list of ingredients that are used in most soup recipes, this no-cook pea soup is for you!
- Preparation is a snap – just a few ingredients and no cooking.
- The soup is protein-packed, and light and healthy.
- It’s the perfect crowd-pleaser for entertaining.
- The soup is vegetarian and gluten-free.
- To make it vegan just leave off the dollop of yogurt.
- If you pushed your peas off your plate as a child, this will make you a pea-lover!
Layne’s No-Cook Pea Soup:
Choose organic ingredients when available:
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place all ingredients except yogurt in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Check to make sure the peas at the bottom of the blender bowl are pureed.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
This soup can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.
Serves 4 as an appetizer or 3 as a main dish
Nutrition Facts per servings (based on 4 servings or 217 grams): 82 calories, 0.5 grams fat, 98 mg sodium, 121 mg potassium, 12.7 grams carbohydrate, 4.6 grams dietary fiber, 6.6 grams protein, 36 percent daily value vitamin A, 14 percent daily value vitamin C, 10 percent daily value iron, 4 percent daily value calcium.
- Vegetarian and vegan
- High in protein (4 grams per half-cup serving)
- A source of iron, zinc and vitamin K
- Low in sodium
- High in thiamin, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and dietary fiber
- Low on the glycemic index (beneficial for people with diabetes)
- Low-fat and heart-healthy
- High in soluble fiber (helps to lower cholesterol)
- Cholesterol-free (All plant-based foods are cholesterol-free)
- Rich in coumestrol, an anti-cancer phytochemical
- Ecological and sustainable
For more nutritious and delicious recipes with a practical approach to a healthy and wholesome diet, pick up a copy of my award-winning diet lifestyle and cookbook: Beyond The Mediterranean Diet: European Secrets Of The Super-Healthy.
Thank you Talia Joffe for being the recipe tester!