Overnight oats are simple to make and delicious to eat. No cooking required. Just place the ingredients in a glass jar and set in the fridge for a few hours or overnight, to allow the oats to soak up the milk. You can use any combination of kefir and dairy milk or plant-based milk. If you prefer more sweetener, add one tablespoon of pure maple syrup right before serving. A daily dose of oats (high in soluble fiber) may be helpful to reduce blood cholesterol and improve blood sugars. The use of kefir as part of the liquid adds beneficial probiotics for gut health. Dried cherries contain vitamins A, C and antioxidants. Pecans contain protein, vitamin E and healthy fats. You can enjoy this high-fiber, well-balanced deliciousness as a breakfast or snack. Serves 1. Double the recipe to serve 2!
(Choose organic ingredients when available):
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup skim milk or soy milk
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat kefir
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- Drizzle of black strap molasses
- Sprinkle cinnamon, ground
1) Add a drizzle of real maple syrup
1) Use walnuts instead of pecans
2) Use chopped dried apricots instead of cherries
Combine ingredients in a glass jar. Mix, cover and place in the fridge. For best results, allow the flavors to meld overnight and enjoy the next day!