This dish brings me back to the southern Italian region of Puglia on the Adriatic coast. For a truly authentic “Pugliese” experience, try making your own orecchiette or buy fresh pasta!
Pasta with Chickpea Sauce
- 8 ounces whole-grain pasta (preferable a smaller shape like orecchiette)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-large zucchini, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 4 ounces frozen artichokes, defrosted, chopped
- 2 cups prepared chickpeas, drained and mashed
- 2 cups reserved pasta water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½-cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Optional salt, to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions. When draining the pasta, save two cups of the cooking water and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and zucchini and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Add mashed chickpeas, artichokes and one cup of the reserved pasta water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Add the halved cherry tomatoes and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Combine the pasta with the chickpea sauce. If the pasta needs more liquid, slowly add more of the reserved pasta water, ¼ cup at a time. Serve and enjoy–Buon Appetito!
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3.4g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.5g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49.6g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||10%|
|Total Sugars 5.9g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.
2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.