Using whole wheat pizza dough makes an easy and healthy crust for these delicious vegetarian turnovers. For a twist, add a sprinkling of goat cheese on top of the squash apple mixture before folding over the dough.
Ingredients (choose organic when available):
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 cups peeled butternut squash, 1/4-inch finely diced
- 1 cup (about 1/2 pound) peeled apples, 1/4-inch finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) frozen whole wheat pizza dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add squash and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add apple and cook another 6 minutes or until squash and apple are tender. Stir in pepper and thyme. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature.
3. Separate dough into 6 pieces. Roll each portion into a 4-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Combine mustard and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl. Lightly brush top sides of dough circles with mustard mixture. Spoon about 2 tablespoons squash mixture onto half of each circle, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Fold dough over filling. Press edges with tines of fork to seal. Brush milk over dough. Place turnovers 1-inch apart on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-19 minutes or until golden brown. Serves 6.
Nutrition Facts per serving (made with whole wheat dough): 159 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 230 mg potassium, 33 grams carbs, 3.9 grams dietary fiber, 4.1 grams protein, excellent source of vitamin A and B6, high in vitamin C.