High in fiber, protein, rich in nutrients and low in fat, this flavorful gravy is delicious over poultry, vegetables and grains. Vegan guests will appreciate that the combination of beans, grains and vegetables creates a well-balanced plant-based meal.
- 1 tablespoon cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup vegetable broth (more as needed for consistency)
- ½ cup fine flour
- 15-ounces cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea or rock salt (optional) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Ground sumac (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat and add thyme and sage. Sauté another 2 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor combine broth, flour, beans and lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Stir the bean puree into the onions and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and cook until thickened. Add more vegetable broth if desired. Season with optional salt and pepper. Sprinkle with optional sumac.