These spicy tofu lettuce wraps can be made mild by omitting the chili sauce. Make the filling ahead of time. It’s a fun way to introduce tofu to family and friends.
Makes 16 wraps
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, cubed or crumbled
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium tamari sauce
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce (natural brand)
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce or sriracha
- 16 butter lettuce or other large lettuce leaves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ cup green scallion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
1. To make filling: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, lemongrass, and garlic, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until onions are soft and beginning to brown. Add tofu and water chestnuts and cook 4 minutes, or until heated through. Stir in soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and chili sauce. Transfer to serving bowl.
2. Place lettuce leaves on platter, and set out garnishes in small serving bowls. Let guests wrap tofu mixture in lettuce leaves, and top with their choice of garnishes.
Nutrition Facts Per Lettuce Wrap (without garnishes): 66 calories, 2.2 grams fat, 160 milligrams sodium, 8.8 grams carbs, 3.4 grams protein, high in vitamin C.